About Me

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Whitewashed

After a day of anticipation, I awoke to 34 degree weather and no snow.

Fast forward 12 hours, and I am sitting at my dining room table in my warm apartment that is covered in snow. On days like this, I really like winter.

The snow has yet to be stained by the exhaust from cars; I can blissfully ignore the fact I will need to shovel my driveway in the morning, and I was even able to escape from work four hours early due to the "bad roads."

Today was nice.

My run was a relatively easy 2 mile loop. I tried something new though. Back in my track days (yes, I ran track, yes, I finished either last or second to last in every race), our coach would make us go for 3 mile runs in which we would jog from one telephone poll to the next and then sprint from that telephone to the next, then jog, then sprint, and so on. I thought I would give it a whirl this morning. After about a mile, I was wheezing for air. Turns out, sprinting really takes it out of you, who knew?

Once I got back to my apartment, I decided I still had a little bit of energy to expend, so I jogged to the bottom of the hill adjacent my apartment, and sprinted back up it. It tired me out, and my ass hurt all day.

My apartment was still oat-less this morning (Jeffrey brought home some steel cut oats tonight, so that problem is remedied!), so I had to go with yogurt again. In the summertime, I eat yogurt nearly every morning. On winter mornings, however, my body craves oats...and sometimes pancakes.


Yogurt and almond butter is genius. Add in banana, apple, and a little bit of granola, and it is a near perfect breakfast in a bowl.

Unfortunately, I ate it while checking my email and rushing out the door to work. Today is the final day students can submit to the literary magazine, so all of the editors are in a frenzy trying to get everything organized so we can make first cuts tomorrow. This would have been a hectic day on its own, but with the addition of the snow and the cancellation of school, it has reached a whole new level of crazy.

Luckily, I left work early and was able to enjoy a relaxed lunch at home.

The classic PB and J, with some slight alterations. Almond butter instead of peanut, and I threw in the remainder of the banana I used for my breakfast.


Paired with this guy for a little green in my day.


Spinach, banana, lemon, cinnamon, and almond milk.

I spent the entirety of the afternoon sifting through submissions. By the third hour, my stomach was growling, my eyes were sick of staring at a computer screen, and my overall mood had plummeted. I figured, for the submittees sake, I should eat and snack and stay happy while I read their stories. And so I did.


This serving looks tiny, but I think my baby bowl is deceptive. There are a bunch of cashews hidden underneath all of that too. This is my first encounter with goji berries. I can't really taste them. Maybe they are just overpowered by everything else and they taste delicious on their own. Have you ever tried goji berries?

This snack satisfied my stomach for about two hours, and then I was more than ready to heat up leftovers. Left over eggplant lasagna, eggplant parm, and some salad.


It still hasn't gotten old for me, but I am sure it has for you. I think I will be taking a break from eggplant for a bit.

I will most certainly have some ice cream later tonight, but I am trying to hold off until later. I want to savor it.

1 comment:

  1. Your salad looks so bright and pretty it actually makes me think I should eat more salad... which is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete