About Me

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Taco Night!

I am loving this Mexican themed weekend!

To back track slightly, I actually had to work pretty hard at making this Saturday a nice one. I woke up after an extremely bad night sleep feeling really sick. Everyone in my life seems to be sick right now, and unfortunately, I think I'm next.

I decided that getting out of the house and enjoying my weekend was the only way I was going to feel better. And it sort of worked.

My recipe for making a bad day better...

1. Coffee and a scone with Jeffrey at the new local coffee shop, Cafemantic.

2. Go to a winter farmer's market (sans Jeffrey. He had to work.)

3. Find cheap work out clothes at TJ Maxx.

4. Eat a wonderful (and cheap) dinner.

Although my throat still hurts, and I am currently nursing a cup of echinacea tea, I am in very high spirits!

Dinner tonight was tacos. It seemed natural given the fact that we have quite literally between 70-80 oz. of salsa in the fridge.

Last night, I began soaking black beans. Then, I simmered them for about 2 hours this afternoon. Soaking and cooking your own beans always seems like a hassle in my head, but it really so much more economically efficient.

The beans turned out a little mushy for my liking (if you like harder beans, you probably only want to simmer them for roughly an hour and a half). However, my mushy beans got my creative wheels turning. I took the mush and threw it into the food processor with the juice from one lime, some salt, pepper, chilli powder, and a splash of apple cider vinegar. The result? Healthy and delicious mock-refried beans. I was extremely proud.

The remainder of the dinner was very simple. I was illustrate with photos.


(Corn tortillas heated up in a cast iron pan without oil)


(Refried beans)


(Avocado and quinoa)


(Cheese and salsa)


(Seconds...)

I decided to go without cheese the second time around. I realized I rarely can even taste cheese in most meals (except pizza, of course), so I have been leaving it off lately. I really don't miss it at all.

As for running, I took a rest day. I woke up at 10:15 this morning! I honestly cannot remember the last time I slept that late. I didn't even wake up on my own; Jeff had to stir me. I took that as a sign that my body needed rest, so I gave it some. Hopefully tomorrow I am feeling well enough to run because Jeffrey said he wanted to go with me.

Now we are off to a friend's house for the evening. I plan on bringing some more echinacea tea with me to sip on...not exactly my ideal drink on a Saturday night, but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment