About Me

Friday, February 26, 2010

Crock-pottery Salsa

Ever since Jeffrey got me my crock pot, he has been wanting to make salsa.

This afternoon, he sent me a text message from the Coop telling me he got upwards of 15 free tomatoes. Naturally, making salsa was a top priority.

I tried to follow an extremely simple recipe from the crock pot manual, but I ended up winging it and making do with what we had on hand.

It ended up being something like this:

10 large, cored tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 c green pepper
1 whole red pepper
1 jalapeno pepper (with seeds)
salt, pepper, chili powder, basil, oregeo (and I think some other stuff Jeff threw in while I wasn't looking).

The process was easy.

Wash and core the tomatoes. To core, simply cut an inch deep circle around the stem and spoon out. I then chopped the tomato in half and spooned out the seeds and superfluous innards. Then, throw them in the crock.

Then, I (roughly) chopped up the onion, garlic, and peppers, and threw those in the crock as well.

Let it simmer for about 2 1/2 hours or until tomatoes are soft. Then, ladle the mixture into the food processor and pulse until you read the desired consistency. Add in your spices and pulse some more.

I realized I did not take a picture of the final product. Tomorrow! Once it was finished, we realized it desperately needed cilantro. Again, tomorrow!

I did manage to take a picture of our lovely Mexican feast that incorporated the salsa, though.

This was delicious! Quinoa, black beans, avocado, cheddar cheese (it's all we had), and our homemade salsa. I am in such a Mexican food frame of mind right now. You will be seeing a lot of this!

In addition to a successful dinner, I had a very successful run this morning. It was snowing/raining this morning for the third morning in a row, and I simply could not handle another wet and cold run. I had to go to UConn today anyway, so I decided to go to the gym for the first time in a while. I found this workout courtesy of Tina. I have always been one to question those who claim any workout (especially on a treadmill) is "great," but this one really wasn't bad. There was so much switching of the incline and speed that the time really did fly by.

I was definitely tired by the end (it turned out to be about 4 miles), but at no point was I miserable.

After the run, I stretch a lot and did some ab work and called it a day.

I really needed a successful run. I was starting to get really frustrated, but I feel like I am now back on track. I am supposed to run with some people from work and Jeffrey in the morning, but I know one of my running partners has fallen ill, Jeffrey is in her footsteps, and I have yet to hear from the last remaining running buddy.

Oh well. I guess it will be another lonely run for Annie. My knee kind of hurts right now though, so who knows, maybe I will give myself a rest day.

We will see....

No comments:

Post a Comment