About Me

Friday, February 12, 2010

Chocolate, Wine, and Carrot Cake.

Last night brought a little too much of this...

(Oh Rex, how you slay me)

Which resulted in too much of this...


(Green and Blacks Dark Chocolate...oh my)

And I even got into a little bit of this...


Yikes.

For some reason, whenever I have night classes following my usual eight hour work day, I find myself constantly rushing. Clearly, at times this rush is necessary. For example, my boyfriend was using my car when I was at work, and he was supposed to pick me up at 5:00 so I could go home, grab a few things, and make it to my class at 6 on time. Jeff didn't pick me up until 5:15...rush rush rush...I made it to my class by 6:00. In this case, the rush was necessary and beneficial.

However, my eating was rushed too. I knew I needed to have a pretty bulky snack because there was a chance I wasn't going to be eating dinner until 9:30 or 10:00, but as soon as I found out that Jeff was late, I just started rushing around looking for snacks. I ate some nuts then a little bit of dried fruit then some chocolate...

Then, when Jeff was driving me to school, I staretd eating trail mix. Then more trail mix. And a little more to the point where I was uncomfortably full. This whole time, I was frantic I was going to be late.

When I got home at a reasonable hour (8:30ish), you would think that the rushing would stop. But it didn't. I rushed to heat up dinner. I proceeded to inhale my food, guzzle wine, and immediately go for the chocolate bar, commencing the photographic journey above.

I do not know why normal, every day rushing correlates into rushed, unnecessary eating, but I cannot deny that the correlation exists.

When I woke up, kind of hung over, I was upset with myself. Not really upset, but upset with my behavior the night before. I have definitely struggled with disordered eating in the past, so flare ups like this are always a little bit unsettling.

I decided to calm my nerves the smart way. I ate half a banana and went for a 2.5 mile run that I determined was going to be a good one.

I started off really strong, and I felt better. My headache was disappearing, and it felt good knowing my body was doing some damage control. Then, I started getting really tired and really discouraged. I had not gone that far, and I knew my legs shouldn't feel this terrible this quickly.

A mile later, I realized I had been running against a very cold, very strong wind. Once I turned around, things started looking up. I was definitely tired by the time I got home, but I wasn't exhausted.

I did a little Yoga for Runners when I got home, which felt great! And I have had a really nice day so far.

I had a great breakfast...more oats.

An even better lunch...

Roasted eggplant and sweet potato on Ezeikel bread with hummus, orange pepper, red onion, and lettuce. I threw some Mary's crackers and the remainder of the pepper on my plate for good measure.

And now...

Carrot cake!

(Final product will be displayed once it has had time to set in the fridge!)


Jeff liked my baking adventure as much as I did.



The cake is not for us actually. It the Food Coop's 30th birthday tomorrow. Every year, the Coop has "a party" to celebrate. There is music, food, and best of all lots of cake. This year, there will be 30 cakes (including mine) to celebrate 30 years. I am really excited...

Jeff and I are off to Boston tonight to go to Tupelo. Apparently it is a great, southern cookin' restaurant. My parents got us a gift certificate for Christmas, and we saved it until now because we knew we would want to use it for our one year anniversary. The anniversary was actually yesterday. Oh well.

There will be lots of pictures later!


No comments:

Post a Comment